Chili that Stands Stout
Extra depth? Check. Richer flavor? Check. “Secret” ingredient? Check.
Baby, it’s cold outside and there are few better ways to combat those frosty days than fighting chilly with chili. Cooked low and slow with plenty of spice, chili is one of the hallmark comfort foods of the winter season. We crafted this version with a special surprise element: our own Secret Chief Stout.
A full bottle added to the chili imparts another welcome layer of flavor and warmth to thaw out after a day of facing down Old Man Winter. Easy to make with simple-to-find ingredients, this hearty stew goes great with a side of cornbread or served over french fries, baked potatoes, rice, hot dogs or even spaghetti.
Grab some Secret Chief Stout, fire up the slow cooker and warm your friends and family with this crafty take on the classic chili. When they ask for your “secret” ingredient, pour them a Secret Chief. And another bowl of chili.
Combine the following ingredients into slow cooker:
- 1 lb beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 oz) pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz)red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Jalapeño (or more depending on spice preference)
- 1 bottle (12 oz) Secret Chief Stout
Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. Stir occasionally
Serve with shredded sharp Cheddar cheese and a bottle of Secret Chief Stout.